Hair vs. Popsicles

I appreciate good hair.
With a day off from The Bolivar Commercial and all bridesmaid duties behind me I didn't know what to do with myself.
Coach was home, Nana was home and it was so wonderful to have everyone together, which we haven't gotten to do much in the recent weeks.
We spent most of the day outside with popsicles and books watching Berit swirl around in her baby pool, climb up the slide and down, up and down, and make horse sounds, which is her new favorite thing to do.

Now, because I was a bridesmaid in a wedding the day before my hair was still in wedding mode so I'm sure you all can imagine I was feeling myself because I knew I looked cute.
Until I got sprayed in the face with the water hose.
Excuse me!

I was so irritated and wanted to stand up and shout at the perpetrator, which was Brett Warren by the way, until I saw Nana in her sprinkle tutu swimsuit and crocs with a popsicle grin cackling away at what her daddy had done.
Definitely siding with her silly daddy

These two outnumbered me and the cute hair was no more.
I knew I had two options, one was to go inside where I stayed clean and adorable, away from the obnoxious duo, the other involved sweat, sunscreen, and most likely mud because aside from horse sounds that's our other new favorite thing.

I wiped my face, put a hat on, and splashed in the baby pool with her.
I'm not a fan of being dirty, and if you didn't know this, I'm a bit over the top girly. However, I'm not afraid to put those feelings aside when it comes to spending time with my family.

We stomped in the mud, we slid on the pool slide, we read stories under the sun, and we ate a bazillion popsicles.

At the end of the day, I was sweaty, grimy, had mud up the side of my leg, and smelled like beach sunscreen but had so much fun spending hours outside with my sweet family.
When Coach and I put her to sleep after a good hose down and then a nice bath, it's easy to watch her snore and know that cute hair is not worth missing those popsicle moments.

This column originally appeared in The Bolivar Commercial

No comments