Glitter shoes and a bright heart

I guess every person has their “thing.” My things are writing and all brightly colored organizational tools.
I’m beginning to think Nana’s thing is shoes.
I have never seen a little one get so excited about a new pair of shoes.
Recently, we went to the huge Flea Market in Canton to explore and buy plenty of things we probably could have lived without, except for a pair of shoes.
I turned a corner and there they were--glitter sneakers.
They sat glimmering in the sunlight on a table but what made it even better was when I picked them up, I was facing a smaller table with matching baby glitter sneakers.
Friends, I think that’s a sign.
My sweet mother-in-law is also a shoe girl, maybe that’s where Nana gets it from, purchased the shoes as gifts for both of us.
When I brought them home, I let Nana open the box all by herself.
I loved watching the joy she got as she realized “mama! Nana!” had the same shoes!
She slept in those shoes that night and has wanted to wear them every day since.

Yesterday, when I got us both in from school, I walked into my closet to change out of work clothes.
Nana walked right in behind me, my little shadow.
She pointed and said, “Doc? Doc! Doc!”
Doc is what she calls my dad, whom we talk to every afternoon on Facetime, so I assumed that’s what she wanted to do.
When I looked down, I realized she was pointing to my Birkenstock shoes, the same kind my dad wears every single day.
She very rarely sees his feet, and hasn’t seen him since we visited last month but I was shocked that she could pair a style of shoes with a person.
Watching her do this really gave me pause as I realized how much she’s paying attention to what’s around her. She loves looking just like Mommy and she’s watching what we do right down to our shoe choices.
How often have I watched her change a baby doll’s diaper or say “Good Girl!” any time she does something she thinks is good or pleasing? It all clicked as I stood in that closet--she’s mimicking what she sees.
My next thought was HOLY BANANAS I better pay more attention to what I’m doing!
Oh how this little one has turned into a parrot. She loves to repeat words, she watches what we do and comments on our actions, and she even mimics us with her own toys.
This got me thinking of what she sees versus what I want her to see.
I want her to see me pray. I want her to see me love others. I want her to see me holding hands with her daddy so knows how friends should treat others and how men are supposed to treat their wives.

I want her to see goodness, kindness, happiness.
I want her to also know how to handle sad and dreary days.
I want her to want to be like Mommy because Mommy is a good person and set a good example.
I want her to be able to follow in footsteps that guide her straight to Christ. So, here’s to lacing up those glitter shoes and taking the right steps for all of those that are watching us.

No comments